This section lists cancer related material produced for children (about childhood cancer, cancer in general, and health promotion) . Parents / carers /teachers should first view the material to check its suitability for their child.
- Kid's Home at NCI (USA) A parent / patient oriented site. This includes information for parents, links to child oriented pages, and art work by children with cancer.
- Band-Aids and Blackboards - When Chronic Illness.or Other Medical Problems Go to School (USA) These pages are by Joan Fleitas, a nursing educator at Fairfield University, Connecticut. The site provides resources for helping elementary school children deal with serious medical problems. Information for Kids, Teens, and Adults.
- Blood Counts Information for Kids with Cancer (Mary Petersen and Jo Eland, University of Iowa) pages for kids (and anyone else who is interested) explaining blood cells, blood counts and chemotherapy - good graphics
- Cancer and Kids - Meet the Characters (University of Iowa College of Nursing, USA) meet Captain Chemo, Ben Blood, Zapman and others - great graphics. Pages by Mary Schlapkohl, Jim Schlapkohl and Jo Eland. Web and PDF formats.
- Cancer Books for Children an extensive list of books for children.
- Cancer Books for Children (Michigan Electronic Library) A large list of books and electronic resources for children.
- Captain Chemo's Adventures (Royal Marsden Hospital, UK) A Web site and computer game for young people with cancer. Captain Chemo is a cartoon character created by a former patient. Here you can help to shoot and destroy tumours, answer questions about cancer and more.
- Cells Are Us - Children's Guide to Cells (ICRF, UK) by Dr Fran Balkwill and Mic Rolph
- Children's Art Project - M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (Texas, USA) a project started in 1974, now with over 80 products (cards, books etc) using children's artwork to raise money for emotional, recreational and educational programs for children at the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- I'm Having a Bone Marrow Transplant (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, USA) a coloring book designed to help children up to 15 years of age express themselves throughout the stressful process of having a bone marrow transplant.
- Kemo Shark (OncoLink) an on-line version of "Kemo Shark" a book for kids with illustrations (Kidscope, Inc.)
- Leukemia and Me - a poem by Joan Fleitas RN (in Band-aides and Blackboards) a story-rhyme for children divided into 3 parts describing blood cells, about the leukemia "bullies", treatment and other issues. A wonderful inspiring poem.
- Neuroscience for Kids a site for students and teachers who would like to learn more about the nervous system. Includes activities and experiments to learn about the brain and spinal cord. Maintained by Eric Chudler, suported by The National Center of Research Resources.
- Oncolink Book / Video Review - Children
- OurAngelTeens (Angels of Hope) unmoderated mailing list ifor teenagers ages 13-19 who are suffering with cancer and are looking for a pen-pal to communicate with.
- SunSmart - a program of the Cancer Council Victoria (Australia) The site includes information to preschools, primary and secondary schools. Provides policy advice and training for teachers. Includes a PDF file [Be SunSmart] for Lower to Middle Secondary - Health Education
- Tips for Kids - Office on Smoking and Health (Center for Disease Control, USA) Anti-smoking information for kids.
- Tips for Teenagers - Office on Smoking and Health (Center for Disease Control, USA) Anti-smoking information for teenagers.
- We can make it - Teenagers Guide to Beating Cancer (Wessex Cancer Trust, UK) An on-line guide for teenagers with questions and answers about cancer.
- When Someone in Your Family Has Cancer (National Institutes of Health / National Cancer Institute, USA) an online booklet for children and family members.
Back to the Menu