Head and neck cancers are malignancies arising in the upper aerodigestive tract (this includes: lip, tongue, salivary glands, mouth, oropharynx, nasopharynx, hypopharynx, nasal cavity, and larynx). Laryngeal (voice-box) cancer is the most frequent type,
accounting for about a quarter of head and neck cancers.
See also International Head and Neck Cancer Resources
- British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists A national association founded in 1967 to encourage discussion and knowledge sharing between the many clinical and research specialties involved in the management of head and neck cancer. The Web site includes details of meetings, publications, news etc.
- British Association of Head and Neck Oncology Nurses A national organisation founded to facilitate networking between nurses in the field of head and neck cancers, in order to share ideas and promote good practice. The web site includes practice guidelines and details of membership.
- Laryngectomy (Royal Marsden Hospital, UK) An on-line patient booklet.
- Let's Face It A support network for facial disfigured, with worldwide contacts. Founded in 1984 by a patient who had a rare facial cancer.
- Mouth Cancer: Mouth Tongue and Teeth Paul was diagnosed with tongue cancer following a routine dental check. This is a good humoured and detailed personal account of diagnosis, surgery, radiotherapy and long-term effects of treatment which will be of interest to others with oral cancer
- Mr J Meirion Thomas (Consultant Surgeon) - Specialist in Parotid Tumours. This site includes information about salivary gland tumours of interest to both public and health professionals; about salivary gland tumours, FAQ, glossary, what to do next, publications, and links. NHS and private practice.
- Oral Cancer Prevention and Detection (University of Glasgow Dental Hospital, UK) The Web site has detailed information about oral cancer, causes, prevention, details of examinations, presenting features, and role of the health professional.
- Questions and Answers: Cancers of the head and neck From the CancerHelp Web site produced by Cancer Research UK.
- Restorative Dentistry Oncology Clinic, West Yorkshire This is the Web site of Dr Vinod K Joshi and his team who run clinics in Bradford and Wakefield. It includes information sections and forums for patients and for health professionals. It includes details of protocols, policy, personal experiences etc.
- Tutorial: Lumps in the Head and Neck -including cancer Interactive Teaching Project for Surgery - (UK)