Please note: the author does not endorse any particular support groups; this guide lists only guides with web pages so remember that many local and national groups are not yet on the Internet - your physician may be able to recommend a
support group most suited to your needs. As well as 'face-to-face' support groups there are a growing number of 'electronic' or 'virtual' support groups, where it is possible to communicate with other patients around the world (though usually without a
professional councillor as with many face-to-face groups). Remember health care systems vary from country to country !
See also Disease Oriented List of Resources
- ADEN-CYST - Adenoid Cystic Carcinomas Electronic Support Group (ACOR)
- ALL-L - Adult Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia Email List (ACOR)
- Alliance for Lung Cancer Advocacy, Support, and Education (USA) a non-profit organization aiming to help people with lung cancer through advocacy, psychosocial support programs, and education about the disease and treatment. The site includes sections about lung cancer, symptom management etc.
- Alliance of Genetic Support Groups, Inc A non-profit organisation founded in 1986;a national coalition of consumers, professionals and genetic support groups. The site includes details of AGSG, a Directory of Genetic Organisations, resources, on-line newsletter, publications etc.
- American Brain Tumour Association (USA) A non-profit organisation founded in 1973 dedicated to the elimination of brain tumors through research and patient education services.
- American Cancer Society (USA) A non-profit organisation with over 3400 offices located in all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico. The site has information for both the public and health professionals including information about ACS programs, specific cancers, local branch details etc.
- Aplastic Anaemia Trust, The (UK) The Trust, formerly known as the Marrow Environment Fund was founded in 1985. It is involved in research and support for aplastic anaemia (AA) and related diseases. The Web site includes information about AA, support group, fundraising etc.
- Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation, Inc. This organisation, formerly know as Aplastic Anemia Foundation of America was founded in 1983. It provides a resource directory for patient assistance, produces educational material and supports research into AA and MDS.
- BLADDER-ONC - Bladder Cancer and Transitional Cell Carcinomas Electronic Support Group (ACOR)
- Bone Marrow Transplant Support Group (Ireland) Funded in 1994 to provide support for Bone Marrow Transplant patients and their families. The web site includes information, links and the groups Newsletter.
- Brain Tumor Foundation of Canada A national, not-for-profit organization, founded in 1982 to provide support to people affected by brain tumors. The Web site has both English and French language pages which provide details of the organisation, its services, events, collaborations.
- Brain Tumor Society (USA) Resources for both patients, relatives, and health professionals
- Bray Cancer Support Centre (Ireland) a non-profit voluntary service founded in 1990 to offer emotional support and practical help to people who had or have cancer and their families and friends. The page includes details of the Drop-in Centre and various support groups.
- Cancer Black Care (UK) This is a charity, founded in 1995, which aims to address the cultural and emotional needs of black people affected by cancer. The site includes details of information, support, and advocacy services, contact lists etc.
- Cancer Care Society (UK) A registered charity with branches in various parts of England and Wales providing counselling and support for patients, family and friends.
- Cancer Care, Inc (USA) a national voluntary social service agency, facilities include a toll free telephone helpline. The web site includes details of programs, information about specific cancers and topics including free access to audio clips of teleconferences etc.
- Cancer Plus - Parent's support group (Ireland) a national support group for parents who have a child who has been diagnosed and treated for cancer. This page provides a brief overview of cancerplus and is located on the Irish Cancer Society web page.
- Cancer Relief Macmillan Fund (UK) National charity, devoted to ensuring the best possible quality of life for people with cancer and supporting over 1,400 Macmillan nurses.
- Cancer Support Association (Australia) CSA is a non-profit support group formed in 1984 by patients and relatives. This site gives details of the organisation, 24 hour telephone help-line, meetings, programs etc.
- Cancerkin Centre (Royal Free Hospital, London, UK) a hospital based breast cancer support organisation founded in 1987. The organisation provide support and rehabilitation programmes and run a specialist Lymphoedema clinic.
- Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation (USA) The CCCF is a non-profit organisation which aims to educate, support, serve, and advocate for families of children with cancer, survivors, and health professionals. CCCF was founded in 1970 now has over 43,000 members worldwide.
- Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation of Canada (Canada) This site provides details about the foundation and includes a comprehensive resource center with details of booklets, vidios, and other support material.
- CanTeen (Australia) A national support group founded in 1985 by teenagers It provides support for teenagers and young adults (ages 12-24 yrs) living with cancer and their teenage brothers and sisters. The website includes details of programmes etc.
- CanTeen - support group (Ireland) A support group for young people with cancer, their brothers, sisters and friends - ages 12 to 20. This page is on the Irish Cancer Society Web site.
- CARCINOID - Carcinoid Cancer Online Support Group Email list
- Children's Brain Tumor Foundation (USA) The CBTF is a non-profit organization founded by families, friends and physicians of children with brain tumors; the foundation raises funds for research. This site includes details of services and events, and articles about brain tumours
- Children's Hospice International A non-profit organisation founded in 1983 to provide a network of support and care for children with life-threatening conditions and their families.
- Children's Leukemia Foundation of Michigan (USA) CLF was founded by parents in 1952 and aims to provide compassionate personalised support for both children and adults with leukemia and other blood disorders. The site includes information about services, Q&A, events, newsletter etc.
- Children's Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation A non-profit organization providing support, advocacy and funding medical research projects on neuroblastoma. CNCF is based in Bloomingdale, IL, the Web site includes information about the organisation, news, events, donations and resources.
- CLL - Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Support Group Email List
- Colostomy Care Group (Ireland) support to patients who are about to have or who have had surgery to treat cancer of the colon or rectum. This page is on the Irish Cancer Society web site.
- Corporate Angel Network (USA) Non-profit organisation that provides free air transportation to and from recognized US cancer hospitals without regard to their financial resources. The network has helped over 10,000 patients since 1981.
- CTCL-MF - Information and Support for: Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma / Mycosis Fungoides Email List
- E-SARCOMA Email List - The Ewing Sarcoma Online Support Group (ACOR) includes details of how to join the list - E-SARCOMA@listserv.acor.org
- EMOTIONAL SUPPORT LIST An general index of Email support lists - including some cancer related.
- Families of Children with Cancer (Toronto, Canada) a registered charity run by volunteers to provide education, support and advocacy for families affected by childhood cancer. FCC is linked with Toronto Hospital for Sick Children, the site has details of FCC, newsletter, library etc
- Foundation for the Children's Oncology Group (formerly the National Childhood Cancer Foundation) (USA) The FCOG is a non-profit organization which supports pediatric cancer treatment and research projects in association with The Children's Oncology Group (COG). This site includes information, inspiring stories, news, and links to WWW resources.
- Fountain Centre, The A charitable trust which is attached to the St. Luke's Cancer Wing at The Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford. It provides counselling, complementary therapies, information and support for patients and their families.
- Francoise Babet Leukaemia Foundation Inc. (Australia) a registered charity since 1995 which provides help and support to patients and families affected by leukaemia and other blood disorders. Also provide accommodation and support to overseas patients who are being treated in Oz.
- Give Hope (UK) a national brain tumour organisation aiming to provide support and promote awareness and research. The site includes a newsletter, list of events, list of UK addresses, links, and other information.
Hammer Out A Bristol based charity founded in 2002 for the relief, assistance and support of people with brain tumours together with their faimily and carers. The Web site includes news, details of support group meetings and other events.
- Healthy Young Attitude A group founded in Silicon Valley in 1997 to provide support and information to young adults with cancer. The Web site includes news and events, a bulletin board, information for carers, personal stories, and other resources.
HER2 Support Group.org A non-profit organisation which aims to help members by supporting concerns and by providing links to news and current research. The site includes a message board and details of clinical trials.
- Histiocyte Society Hosted at The Texas Children's Cancer Center and Hematology Service this Web site provides details about the Histiocyte Society, information about histiocytosis etc.
- Hobart Cancer Support Group An Australian support group for people with cancer and their families
- HUG Hodgkins United Group (Ireland) a support group for patients with Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkins Lymphomas, their relatives and friends. This page is on the Irish Cancer Society web site.
- Intercultural Cancer Council (USA) The ICC aims to promote policies to improve care and treatment in minorities and medically underserved cancer patients.
- International Myeloma Foundation This site contains details of the IMF, telephone hotline, and information packs. Online resources include a newsletter, email discussion group, and patient handbook. Also there is information for researchers: grant applications etc.
- Italian Federation of Pediatric Oncology Parent Associations (Home page in English language) The federation was founded in 1995 and brought together 20 Parents Associations involved in support for childhood cancer.
- Jeffrey's Folks Cancer Link (Canada) Jeffrey's Folks is a support group for families touched by childhood cancer. The site includes a quarterly newsletter which is part-funded by the Canadian Cancer Society.
- Josep Carreras International Leukaemia Foundation Spanish and English language support. JCILF was founded in 1988 at the behest of the tenor Josep Carreras, and funds leukemia research and the Redmo register of marrow donors. Details of the foundation and grant applications.
- KIDNEY-ONC - Kidney Cancer Online Support Group Email discussion list
- KIDSCOPE Support organization to help the families and children of cancer patients
- L-M-SARCOMA - Leiomyosarcoma Electronic Support Group Email discussion list
- Let's Face It (UK) A support network for facial disfigured, with worldwide contacts. Founded in 1984 by a patient who had a rare facial cancer.
- Leukaemia Care Society (UK) A support group extablished in 1967 which provides support for children and adults with lekaemia and their families. The web site includes detailed information about the Society and its programmes, medical overview and related links.
- Leukaemia Research Fund (UK) A national cancer charity funding research into leukaemia and other types of cancer. The site includes online patient information booklets, and research abstracts.
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (USA) a national voluntary health agency dedicated to curing leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and Hodgkin's disease. The web site includes details of the 58 chapters of the society, information booklets, patient services, research etc.
- LIVER-ONC - Liver Cancer Electronic Support Group Email discussion list
- LUNG-ONC - Lung Cancers Internet Support Group Email discussion list
- Lymphoma Association (UK) The association provide emotional support and information to people with lymphatic cancer and to their families, carers and friends. The site ihas details of the national network of support groups, telephone helpline, online-booklets etc.
- Mary-Helen Mautner Project for Lesbians with Cancer (USA) a tax exempt organisation providing education and advocacy for lesbians with cancer and their partners.
- MEL-L Melanoma Support Group (ACOR) Email discussion list
- Men Against Cancer (Ireland) a cancer support group which provides information, advice and support to men who have received a recent diagnosis of prostate or testicular cancer. This page is on the Irish Cancer Society web site.
- Michael Brandon Young Childhood Cancer Foundation, Inc (USA) MBYCCF is a non-profit organisation which provides educational and financial support to children with cancer and their families. It is linked with Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at Duke University and Egleston Children’s hospital at Emory.
- Mind over Matter - Testicular Cancer Support Group (UK) a group aimong to provide to support through befriending and to increase awareness of testicular cancer
- Miracle House - NY (USA) a non-profit organization, founded in 1990, which provides accommodation and support to family and friends travelling to visit people with cancer and AIDS who are being treated in New York.
- National Association of Psychological Assistance for Cancer Patients (Turin, Italy) Associazione Nazionale Assistenza Psicologica Ammalati CAncro is a voluntary service founded in 1980 that offers free psycological help to people with cancer. Italian language with some English support.
- National Children's Cancer Society (USA) NCCS is a non-profit organization founded in 1987 which provides direct financial support to children (to age 18) with cancer and their families. The site includes details of the NCCS International Program, events, services and donations.
- Neurofibromatosis A support page for people affected by Neurofibromatosis
- NHL - Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Support Group Email discussion list
- Norwegian Cancer Society - Den Norske Kreftforening NCS is a national voluntary organization with over 170,000 members. The Web site provides details of the society including member organisations, research, patient support, and international activities. It includes English language pages.
- Oesophageal Patients Association An organisation and charity founded in 1985 by survivors of oesophageal cancer.
- Ovacome (UK) A national support group for all those concerned with ovarian cancer, involving sufferers, families, friends, carers and health professionals.
- PANCREAS-ONC - Pancreatic Cancer Electronic Support Group Email discussion list
- Patient Advocate Foundation (USA) PAF is a non-profit organisation committed to offering support to cancer patients through legislative reform eg. requiring insurers to offer coverage for high dose chemotherapy / ABMT.
- PED-ONC Email List - The Pediatric Cancers Electronic Support Group (ACOR) an unmoderated discussion list for patients, family, friends, researchers, and physicians to discuss clinical and non-clinical issues relating to childhood cancer. This page includes details about how to subscribe. PED-ONC@MEDINFO.ORG
- Prostate Cancer Charity (UK) A charity launched in 1996 to increase awareness provide support and fund research into prostate cancer, with 12,000 new patients being diagnosed each year in the UK. The site includes information about the prostate, cancer, treatments, FAQ etc
- Prostate Help Assocaition (UK) A support group for all types of prostate problems including prostate cancer.
- Questions and Answers About Finding Cancer Support Groups (CancerNet) Fact Sheet. General introduction about the role of cancer support groups and how to find them.
- Reach to Recovery - Breast Cancer support group (Ireland) a national support programme for women who are about to have, or who have recently had breast surgery. This page is on the Irish Cancer Society web site.
- Ron Smith Cancer Appeal (Wales) The appeal has succesfully campaigned for a cancer treatment centre in North Wales and is raising money for equipment etc. The site is in both English and Welsh language.
- Scottish Association of Prostate Cancer Support Groups (Scotland, UK) the association was founded by prostate cancer patients and their families in April 1999 to a network of regional support groups and raise awareness of prostate cancer. Registered Scottish charity No.029158.
- Selp-Help and Support Groups - Patient Information Publications (UK) This site includes an index of UK links to health related self-help and support groups sorted by disease type / medical topic. There is a page of links to cancer related support groups in the UK.
- Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC) (USA) a not-for-profit organisation founded in 1991. SPOHNC provides for the emotional, psychological and humanistic needs of the oral and head and neck cancer. Members can subscribe to a regular Newsletter.
- Support Groups - Menu (OncoLink)
- Tak Tent - Cancer Support Scotland The Web site includes details of Tak Tent support groups throughout Scotland, counselling services, and other Tak Tent projects.
- TC-NET - Testicular Cancer Online Support Group Email discussion list
- Teenage Oncology Patient Support (TOPS) (UK) TOPS is a free club, based in the South West of England, for people aged 12 21 who have, or have had, cancer or leukaemia. The Web pages are hosted on the CLIC site and include details of TOPS events and activities.
- The Compassionate Friends - Atlanta Chapters (USA) This site provides support for those suffering bereavement, and is a collaboration of the TCF chapters in Atlanta.
- ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association A non-profit organisation founded in 1995 developing programs to link survivors and healthcare professionals around the world. The web site includes news for survivors about on-line chats, conference, mailing lists and local support groups.
- THYROID-ONC - Thyroid Tumors Electronic Support Group Email discussion list
- UK Brain Tumour Society UKBTS is a registered charity, founded in 1997 by patients, relatives and three charities to provide support, increase awareness and promote research. The Web site includes
- Ulman Fund - for young adults affected by cancer (USA) A non-profit organisation founded in 1996 by a cancer survivor. The fund supports young adults affected by cancer and the web site includes details of the Fund, its programs, a guide book, scholarship information, survivors network and links.
- US TOO International, Inc. An independent network of support groups for men with prostate cancer and their families, founded in 1990. The site includes listings of support groups, medical information, events etc with input from a Medical Advisory Board.
- WARMNET - MD Anderson Support Mailing List (ACOR)
- Why me - Helping Children with Cancer (USA) Worcester based non-profit organization that provides emotional and financial support to area children with cancer and their families. This site provides details of the organization, its fund-raising events, support program, and links.
- Young Adults Living With Cancer (USA) An organisation dedicated to helping make resources available to young adults who have or have had cancer. "We realize that the concerns that young adults who have cancer face are different than those of older adults."
See also Email discussion lists
See also Telephone Helplines
See also List of Resources by Country