- Support Groups
- Telephone Helplines
- Cancer Email Lists
- Resources for Caregivers
- Death, Grief, Bereavement Issues
- Organisations - Psyco-Social and Emotional Issues
- Information for Patients and the public
- Information for Health Professionals / Researchers
- Specialist Journals
- Cancer and Sexuality
- Cancer Care, Inc (USA) a national voluntary social service agency, facilities include a toll free telephone helpline. The web site includes details of programs, information about specific cancers and topics including free access to audio clips of teleconferences etc.
- Cancer Family Care (Cincinnati, USA) a non-profit organisation founded in 1971 providing counseling and support services to cancer patients and their families in the greater Cincinnati area. The site includes details of services, resources, and links.
- Cancer Wellness House A center based in Salt Lake City, Utah providing free emotional support, friendship and educational resources for anyone whose life has been affected by cancer. The Web site includes details of the programme, events and resources.
- Living With Dignity. A New Jersey Non-Profit Corporation, founded in 1996, which provides psycho-social support for individuals and families living with cancer and AIDS. The Web site includes details of professional counseling services, grief therapy and newsletter.
- Sargent Cancer Care for Children (UK) a national charity, formed in 1968, that funds a skilled network of Sargent Social Workers in all major UK cancer centres, offering high quality counselling, financial help and practical care to children and their families.
- Starbright Foundation a non-profit organisation which aims to empower seriously ill children to combat the medical and emotional challenges they face. A collaboration of pediatric medicine, entertainment and technology producing videos / CD-ROMS - free to sick kids.
********** Information for Health Professionals ***********
- Association of Oncology Social Work AOSW is a non-profit, international organization dedicated to the enhancement of psychosocial services to people with cancer and their families.
- British Psychosocial Oncology Society (UK) established in 1984 to promote knowledge of the psychological and social aspects of cancer amongst professionals working with people with cancer. The web site includes details of the Society, journal, newsletter, events etc.
- International Psycho-Oncology Society Dedicated to research and training in the psychological, social and behavioral issues of cancer.
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
See also National Cancer Organisations
See also Support Groups
See also Resources for Patients and the Public
See also Specialist Journals
- Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Methodology and Measurement Interest Group This is a Special Interest Group of the National Institutes of Health. The Web page has details of the Email list and contact information.
- Cancer Practice (Journal) a peer reviewed multidisciplinary journal for oncology nurses, social workers, physicians, and others carers. A journal of the American Cancer Society.
- CANCER-SEXUALITY (ACOR) an email list to discuss sexuality Issues related to cancer diagnosis.
- Mental Health Net This site contains an index of pages related to mental health issues and also has a section on cancer links.
- Negative Mood in Childhood Leukemia Survivors Abstract: Comparison of Psychologic Outcome in Adult Survivors of Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia..A CCG/NIH study. J Clin Oncol 15:547-556, 1997.
- Physician's PDQ Statement - Cancer and suicide
- Physician's statement for Anxiety Disorder (CancerNet) Anxiety related to cancer screening, diagnosis, treatment, or recurrence
- Physician's statement for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in relation to Cancer (CancerNet)
- Psychological and Social Issues (Community Breast Health Project, USA) Details of on-going phsychosocial studies at Stanford University
- Psychosocial Issues of Cancer Survivorship (National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship, USA) Part of the "Imperatives for Quality Cancer Care: Access, Advocacy, Action, and Accountability"
- SWON- Social Work in Oncology Network - Discussion Group An Internet discussion group for members of the Association of Oncology Social Workers. Issues for discussion include oncology social work, cancer survivorship, resources for cancer survivors, and psychosocial research in oncology.
- The Pediatric Cancer Quality of Life Inventory-32 (PCQL-32). II.Feasibility... Varni JW, et al. J Behav Med 1999; 22(4):397-406
- Watson M, et al. Influence of psychological response on survival in breast cancer: a population-based cohort study. Lancet 1999; 354(9187):1331-6 Related articles (PubMed)
- Zeltzer LK, et al. Comparison of psychologic outcome in adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia versus sibling controls: a cooperative Children's Cancer Group and National Institutes of Health study. J Clin Oncol. ;15(2):547-56 Related articles (PubMed)
- Sheard T, Maguire P. et al. The effect of psychological interventions on anxiety and depression in cancer patients: results of two meta-analyses. Br J Cancer 1999; 80(11):1770-80 Related articles (PubMed)
See also Oncology Resources for Health Professionals
See also Oncology Journals