- Information for Patients and the Public
- Professional Organisations
- Departments / Divisions
- Radiation Oncology Journals
- Other Information for Health Professionals
- 3D Conformal Radiothetrapy
- Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy
Radiotherapy is the treatment of cancer and other diseases with high energy (ionising) radiation. Ionising radiation damages or destroys cells in the area being treated making it impossible for the cancer cells to continue to grow and multiply. Most
radiotherapy is delivered from the outside of the body (external beam radiotherapy) usually in the form of high energy X-rays or sometimes as Gamma rays. For certain cancers a radioactive implant can be placed next to the tumour inside the body (internal
radiotherapy). As radiotherapy can damage normal cells as well as cancer cells there can be potential side effects, these may depend on the radiotherapy dose, site(s) of treatment, age and other factors.
- Radiotherapy (CancerNet Statement)
- Cancer Info For Patients by Michele, a Radiation Therapist including information for patients undergoing Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy.
- Cancer/Radiotherapie (Journal of the Societe Francaise de Radiotherapie Oncologique) articles mainly in French language.
- Di-My Cancer Story This is the home page of Diane who has experienced both Hodgkin's disease and then breast cancer, The site includes details of the cancers and treatments received together with secondary issues related to radiation therapy.
- Feminine care (during and after radiotherapy to the pelvis) - A guide for women with cancer (Royal Marsden Hospital, UK) An on-line patient booklet.
- International Radiation Oncology Journal Club Archives of Monthly Radiation Oncology Listserve Journal Club. Moderated by Brian Goldsmith, M.D.
- Michele's place in Cyberspace The pages of a young radiation therapist with infornation about radiotherapy, chemotherapy, side effects, and links.
- Nuclear Medicine on the Net an educational site by UNM, Ltd
- Online Patient Assistance During Radiation Treatments (University of Michigan)
- Patient Guide to Radiation Therapy (University of Michigan)
- Postoperative radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer (Cochrane Collaboration) Abstract of a systematic review.
- R.A.G.E. (Radiotherapy Action Group Exposure) (UK) A national group of women suffering radiotherapy side effects
- Radiation Treatment and Your Mouth (National Oral Health Information Clearinghouse, USA) An online illustrated guide about radiotherapy and how it can effect the mouth.
- Radiotherapy (Royal Marsden Hospital, UK) An on-line patient booklet.
- SEEDPODS - Email list about brachytherapy for prostate cancer. Information and support to those interested in brachytherapy for prostate cancer.
- Treating Thyroid Disease with Radioactive Iodine (NucMedNet) includes images
- UCLA Radiation Oncology: Patient Information - Common Questions About Radiation
- Understanding Radiotherapy (BACUP, UK) An on-line booklet
See also Radiology
See also Oncology Organisations
- American Association of Medical Dosimetrists (USA) The AAMD was incorporated in 1975 and is a professional organisation for those with an interest in medical dosimetry; goals include promoting the proper and concise measurement of radiation, professional ethics etc.
- American Brachytherapy Society A professional organization founded in 1978 to provide insight, rationale, and research into the use of brachytherapy in the treatment of both cancer and benign conditions. The site includes details of the society, meetings and patient information.
- American College of Nuclear Physicians (USA)
- American College of Radiation Oncology (USA) ACRO was founded in 1989 and aims to promote the education and science of radiation oncology, improve services, study socioeconomic aspects, promote professional education etc. The site includes details of membership, programs, publications etc
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (USA) ASTRO is a professional organisation which aims to promote excellence in the practice of radiation oncology, scientific research and in patient care. The site has details of membership, events, patient information etc.
- Associazione Italiana di Radioterapia Oncologica (SOS Europe site) Italian Language
- European Society for Therapeutic Radiation and Oncology (ESTRO) ESTRO, founded in 1980 is a society for professionals involved in the field of radiotherapy and oncology. The Web site includes details about the organisation, research, publications, events and other related information.
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group RTOG is a national research study group running radiotherapy trials in centres across the USA and Canada. The Web site includes details of trials, procedures, member institutions, meetings, abstracts, newsletter, and tissue bank.
- Society for Radiation Oncology Administrators (USA) a national organisation concerned with the administration of the business and non-medical management aspects of radiation oncology.
- Society of Nuclear Medicine
- Staten Island University Hospital - Department of Radiation Oncology (New York, USA) Includes information on a variety of cancers, and details of radiosurgery.
See also Cancer Centres / Institutes
See also Resources by Country
See also Oncology Journals