See also International Organisations
- National Organisations (USA)
- Resources by State
- Cancer Centers (USA)
- Other Resources (USA)
District of Columbia,
Back to the USA Menu
See also USA Menu
- American Association for Cancer Research (USA) Founded in 1907; the AACR is a scientific society of over 15,000 laboratory and clinical cancer researchers. The site provides details of the organisation, conferences, publications, mebership, journals etc.
- American Brain Tumour Association (USA) A non-profit organisation founded in 1973 dedicated to the elimination of brain tumors through research and patient education services.
- American Cancer Society (USA) A non-profit organisation with over 3400 offices located in all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico. The site has information for both the public and health professionals including information about ACS programs, specific cancers, local branch details etc.
- American Head and Neck Society AHNS is a professional organisation, formed in 1998 to promote research and education in head and neck oncology. The Web site includes clinical practice guidelines, details of events, grants, and patient information.
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (USA) ASTRO is a professional organisation which aims to promote excellence in the practice of radiation oncology, scientific research and in patient care. The site has details of membership, events, patient information etc.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (USA) ASCO Online includes information for health professionals and for people living with cancer. Details of meetings, abstracts, membership etc.
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (USA) ASPHO was founded in 1981 and is a professional society dedicated to the study and treatment of childhood cancer and promote care, education and research. The web site includes details of membership, meetings, resources etc
- American Thoracic Society An independently incorporated, international, educational and scientific society, founded in 1905, with a focus on respiratory and critical care medicine. There is a detailed public site with detailed information and also a members area.
- Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation, Inc. This organisation, formerly know as Aplastic Anemia Foundation of America was founded in 1983. It provides a resource directory for patient assistance, produces educational material and supports research into AA and MDS.
- Association for Molecular Pathology (USA) A national organization, established to promote clinical practice, basic research, and education in molecular pathology. The Web site has details of membership, details of subdivisions - including the solid tumor group, meetings and announcements.
- Association of Cancer Online Resources (ACOR) This site contains CancerNet, archives of cancer email lists, and patient oriented web pages.
- Association of Community Cancer Centers ACCC was founded in 1974 to represent oncology practitioners in the community. The Web site includes details about the Association, state level chapters, meetings, publications, news and related information.
- Brain Tumor Society (USA) Resources for both patients, relatives, and health professionals
- Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) (USA) multidisciplinary cooperative cancer treatment group, NCI / NIH
- Cancer Research Foundation of America (USA) a national non-profit organization launched in 1985 committed to cancer prevention through research and education.
- Cancer Research Institute (USA) Supports national research into new cancer treatments, especially immunotherapy
- Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation (USA) The CCCF is a non-profit organisation which aims to educate, support, serve, and advocate for families of children with cancer, survivors, and health professionals. CCCF was founded in 1970 now has over 43,000 members worldwide.
- Children's Brain Tumor Foundation (USA) The CBTF is a non-profit organization founded by families, friends and physicians of children with brain tumors; the foundation raises funds for research. This site includes details of services and events, and articles about brain tumours
- Children's Oncology Group Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee (COG STS) (USA) COG STS is funded by the National Cancer Institute and conducts research into rhabdomyosarcoma. The web site includes material for public and health professionals including details about the disease and information about clinical trials.
- Coalition of National Cancer Cooperative Groups, Inc (USA) founded in 1997 by six of Cancer Cooperative Groups that are funded primarily by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). The web site includes details about the CNCCG and its programmes.
- Cure for Lymphoma Foundation (USA) a national research organisation with a focus on lymphomas
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) (USA) ECOG, established in 1955, is a large cooperative group running clinical trials in adult cancers. As well as information for members there is a public area including details of ECOG, clinical trials, participating institutions, publications etc.
- Food and Drug Administration (USA) FDA is the primary governmental consumer protection agency. The Web site includes details of the Center for Drugs Evaluation and Research and other relevant sections on toxicology, medical products and radiological health.
- Foundation for the Children's Oncology Group (formerly the National Childhood Cancer Foundation) (USA) The FCOG is a non-profit organization which supports pediatric cancer treatment and research projects in association with The Children's Oncology Group (COG). This site includes information, inspiring stories, news, and links to WWW resources.
- Intercultural Cancer Council (USA) The ICC aims to promote policies to improve care and treatment in minorities and medically underserved cancer patients.
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (USA) a national voluntary health agency dedicated to curing leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and Hodgkin's disease. The web site includes details of the 58 chapters of the society, information booklets, patient services, research etc.
- Lymphoma Research Foundation of America (USA) LRFA raises money for research and provides patient support and information. It was founded in 1991 by a patient with NHL. The Web site includes details of services, information about lymphoma, research grants etc.
- National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations (NABCO) (USA) Founded in 1986, NABCO is a non-profit organisation with over 400 member organizations providing information for physicians, patients and their families. The site includes information on cancer, clinical trials and support groups.
- National Brain Tumor Foundation (USA) a non-profit organisation dedicated to raising funds for research and to providing support to patients and their families. The web site includes information about tumor types, treatments, clinical trials, FAQ, news, physician's resources etc.
- National Brain Tumor Radiosurgery Association (USA) Founded in 1997, NBTRA is a patient support and information organization for those who have had or may have stereotactic radiosurgery brain tumor treatments. The Web site has a summary of the organization and contact information.
- National Cancer Institute (USA) The NCI is one of the National Institutes of Health and is a major funder of research in the USA. Online cancer information includes CancerNet PDQ statements for patients and physicians.
- National Children's Leukemia Foundation (USA) The NCLF is a non-profit organization providing services, support, and referrals for leukemia patients and their families.The site provides details of their telephone help line, and information on various topics related to childhood leukemia.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Center Network (USA) a non-profit organisation founded in 1995.
- National Foundation for Cancer Research (USA) The NFCR was founded in 1973 to support laboratory based basic science research. The site includes detailed information on research projects, cancer prevention, treatment, FAQs, contact information etc.
- National Kidney Cancer Association (USA) The NKCA is a non-profit organisation, founded in 1990. Members include patients, family, researchers, and health professionals. The site includes details of the organisation, information services etc.
- National Marrow Donor Program (USA) NMDP is a government funded organization which maintains a computerized registry of volunteer donors.
- National Neurofibromatosis Foundation (USA) A non-profit organisation founded in 1978. The Web site includes details of local chapters, youth programs, research, publications. There is a separate area for NF professionals and scientists which includes the World Wide NF Clinicians' Forum.
- National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc The site includes a searchable database of rare diseases.
- National Wilms' Tumor Study Group (USA) The NWTSG is a national collaborative group established in 1969. NWTSG runs clinical trials and other research with the aim of improving treatment for Wilms' tumor. The site includes a detailed bibliography, FAQ and patient information.
- North American Association of Central Cancer Registries The NAACCR was established in 1987 and is a collaborative umbrella organisation for cancer registries, governmental agencies, professional associations, and other groups interested in enhancing the quality and use of cancer registry data.
- North Central Cancer Treatment Group (USA) founded in 1977 the NCCTG is an affiliation of approximately 20 community clinics throughout the United States with a research base located at Mayo Cancer Center. The web site includes details of the group and the clinical trilas it runs.
- OncoLink An extensive site by the University of Pennsylvania providing cancer specific information. OncoLink was one of the first cancer sites on the Internet.
- Oncology Nursing Society (USA) This is a professional organisation of over 27,000 registered nurses and other healthcare professionals founded in 1974. The Web site has information areas for ONS Members, health providers and patients. Users are required to register.
- Pediatric Oncology Group (USA) POG is a National Cancer Institute-sponsored cooperative clinical trials group of over 100 centers dedicated to controlling cancer among children and adolescents. The site details protocols, institutions, links, plus a members area.
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group RTOG is a national research study group running radiotherapy trials in centres across the USA and Canada. The Web site includes details of trials, procedures, member institutions, meetings, abstracts, newsletter, and tissue bank.
- Radiological Society of North America A professional society founded in 1915. The Web site includes details of membership, meetings, education resources, practice resources, research, publications and medstudent resources
- Society of Gynecologic Oncologists SGO is a non-profit, international organization made up for obstetricians and gynecologists specializing in gynecologic oncology. The Web site includes details of research publications, meetings, jobs and a membership directory.
- Society of Surgical Oncology (USA) SSO, originally founded in 1940 as The James Ewing Society, promotes surgical oncology and excellence in multimodal cancer care. The site has sections on education, training and meetings. It includes abstracts, practice guidelines etc.
- Southwest Oncology Group (USA) SWOG, founded in 1956, is a large collaborative group running clinical trials for cancer. The site includes policy statements, details of meetings, publications and has a bulletin board. Members can access protocols and do online registrations.
- Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC) (USA) a not-for-profit organisation founded in 1991. SPOHNC provides for the emotional, psychological and humanistic needs of the oral and head and neck cancer. Members can subscribe to a regular Newsletter.
See also Disease Oriented List of Resources
See also Medical / Research Specialities
See also International Organisations
See also USA Menu
- Albert Einstein Clinical Cancer Center (Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NY, USA) An NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- American Health Foundation (New York, USA) a NCI designated Cancer Center
- Arizona Cancer Center (University of Arizona, Tuscon, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Arkansas Cancer Research Center (University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, USA)
- Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute (Wayne State University, Detroit, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Burnham Institute (La Jolla, California, USA) a NCI designated Cancer Center.
- California Kidney Cancer Center (San Fransisco, USA) This is a center of the California Kidney Cancer Foundation, which is a non-profit organisation. The center is involved in treatment and research into kidney cancer including immunotherapy.
- Cancer Institute of New Jersey (Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- Cancer Research Center of Hawaii (University of Hawaii at Manoa) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- Cedars-Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Center for Cancer Research - MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge) a NCI designated Cancer Center
- Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center (California, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. This center incorporates UCI Medical Center at Orange and the University of California at Irvine. The site includes a Newsletter, and information about clinical trials, research etc.
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia: Oncology Division (CHOP)
- City of Hope National Medical Center (City of Hope, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Cancer Center (Ohio, USA) an independent, not-for-profit, multispecialty academic medical center.
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (New York) The Laboratory was created in 1890 and its programs focus on cancer, neurobiology and plant genetics. It is a NCI designated Cancer Center. The Web site includes details of research and educational resources.
- Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (Boston) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center (Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center (Philadelphia, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, USA) A NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Geffen Cancer Center and Research Institute (Vero Beach, Florida, USA) a cancer center offering state-of-the-art conventional treatments for cancer along with a variety of complementary approaches to healing the body, mind, heart and spirit of patients and families.
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute (University of South Florida, USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (Columbia University, NY, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Hollings Cancer Center (Charleston, South Carolina, USA)
- Indiana University Cancer Center (Indiana University School of Medicine, USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, Maine, USA) a NCI designated Cancer Center. The Jackson Laboratory is an independent non-profit mammalian research laboratory.
- Johns Hopkins Oncology Center (Baltimore, Maryland, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (Los Angeles, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center (NYU Medical Center, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Kimmel Cancer Center (Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia,) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center.
- Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Lombardi Cancer Research Center (Washigton DC, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Louisiana State University - Cancer Center (Shreveport, USA) a regional cancer linked with the South West Oncology Group
- Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research - San Diego Branch (San Diego, USA)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (Neuro-Oncology Resources)
- Massey Cancer Center (Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- Mayo Clinic Cancer Center (Rochester, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research (University of Wisconsin, Madison) The Laboratory and Department of Oncology were founded in 1940. The Web site includes details of basic research programs and laboratories.
- Medical University of South Carolina Department of Radiation Oncology (USA)
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York) The main MSKCC campus is located in Manhattan. A NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine - Division of Neoplastic Diseases (NY, USA) information for both both patients and physicians. Includes links to related sites; and an on-line discussion group.
- National Cancer Institute at Frederick (USA) A large NCI research campus located in Frederick, MD. The Web site includes details of research, services, databases, news and events.
- New England Medical Center - Cancer Clinical Trials Office (NEMC / Tufts University School of Medicaine, USA) This site contains information about the NEMC cancer division/programs, and about the clinical trials office and staff, open protocols, physician's directory, and other related information.
- Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center (University of Southern California, LA, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Norris Cotton Cancer Center (Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Northern California Melanoma Center (Saint Francis Memorial Hospital, San Francisco, USA) The web site includes details about NCMC and services, news and events and information about melanoma.
- Ochsner Cancer Center (New Orleans, USA) a non-profit center treating 2,000+ patients a year from the Gulf South, Central /South America. The web site includes details about the center, oncology /diagnostic services, and information about cancer, treatments, and support.
- Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center - Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital (Ohio State University, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. The web site provides details the center, services, research programs, clinical trials, and other information.
- Oregon Cancer Center (Portland, USA) a NCI designated Cancer Center
- Phoenix Children's Hospital - Children´s Cancer Center non-profit organization providing treatment for children with cancer, support, and other activities including a Camp Rainbow summer camp.
- Purdue University Cancer Center (West Lafayette, Indiana USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center at Northwestern University (Chicago) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute (Buffalo, NY) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Salk Institute- Cancer Research Center (La Jolla, CA) a NCI designated Cancer Center
- San Antonio Cancer Institute (San Antonio, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center San Diego regional cancer center. An independent, non-profit research + development of novel biological therapies for cancer
- Specially for Children, Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Austin (Texas, USA) A multidisciplinary center located next to Children's Hospital of Austin. The Web site has details of services and patient education links.
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center.
- Sutter Cancer Center (California, USA) This center serves Greater Sacramento and Northern California and is part of the Sutter Health Network. The web site provides details of the centers facilities, physician information, and patient support.
- Texas Children's Cancer Center (Houston, USA) This site includes details of the center and facilities, audio and video welcomes, patient resources, treatment summaries, research and training details, and links to other resources. + TCCC Intranet for internal users.
- Tulane Cancer Center (New Orleans, USA) Based in Tulane University Medical Center, this site contains comprehensive information about research and treatment programs at the center, including national and local clinical trial protocols, BMT, and local counceling service.
- UC Davis Cancer Center (California, USA)
- University Hospitals Ireland Cancer Center (Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Alabama at Birmingham - Comprehensive Cancer Center (USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of California at San Diego Cancer Center (USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center.
- University of California San Francisco Cancer Center (USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Chicago Cancer Research Center (USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Colorado Cancer Center (Denver) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Michigan - Comprehensive Cancer Center (Ann Arbor) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- University of Minnesota Cancer Center (Minneapolis, USA) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of New Mexico Cancer Research and Treatment Center (USA)
- University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center / OncoLink (Philadelphia) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute (USA) A NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (University of Texas) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- University of Utah - Huntsman Cancer Institute (Salt Lake City, USA) A NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center.
- University of Virginia Cancer Center (Charlottesville, USA) a NCI designated Clinical Cancer Center
- University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center (USA) This site contains information about the center, What's new, Links section, details of the research and treatment programs, and a newsletter about clinical trials. A NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- UNMC Eppley Cancer Center (University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA) A NCI designated Cancer Center. The Web site includes details of research programs and patient services.
- Uro-Radiology Prostate Institute (USA)
- Vanderbilt Cancer Center (Nashville, USA) a NCI designated clinical cancer center
- Vermont Comprehensive Cancer Center (Burlington, VT, USA) A NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Washington Cancer Institute (Washington Hospital Center, District of Columbia, USA) This non-profit center serves the metropolitan area of Washington. This site includes information for both public and health professionals; details of clinical trials, protocols, newsletter etc.
- Wistar Institute Cancer Center (Philadelphia, USA) a NCI designated Cancer Center
- Yale University - Comprehensive Cancer Center (New Haven) a NCI designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
See also Disease Oriented List of Resources
See also Medical / Research Specialities
See also International Organisations
See also USA Menu
- FAQ About Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Cancer Treatment (CancerNet) National Cancer Institute
- NCI News (National Cancer Institute) News about recent research results at NCI
- ACP's Home Care Guide to Advanced Cancer (USA) An online book provided by the American College of Physicians. The site provides advice for family, friends, and hospice workers who are caring for people with advanced cancer at home, with a strong emphasis on quality of life issues.
- AIDS-Related Lymphoma (Bulletin of Experimental Treatments for AIDS) a detailed article by Mark Bowers about AIDS related lymphoma and its treatment (1998).
- Alliance of Genetic Support Groups, Inc A non-profit organisation founded in 1986;a national coalition of consumers, professionals and genetic support groups. The site includes details of AGSG, a Directory of Genetic Organisations, resources, on-line newsletter, publications etc.
- alt.support.grief News Group
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- American Academy of Pain Management (USA) AAPM is a multidisciplinary society awarding certification for practitioners of pain management. The site includes a large database of pain management programs throughout the US.
- American Journal of Pathology Journal of the American Society for Investigative Pathology.
- American Medical Women's Association (USA) is "an organization of over 13,000 women physicians and medical students dedicated to the care of the woman patient and serving as the unique voice for women's health."
- American Pain Society This is a multidisciplinary organization founded in 1978 to advance pain-related research, education, treatment and professional practice. The Web site includes details of events, news, forums, publications and a member's area.
- Annals of Surgical Oncology (Journal)
- Announcements (Journal of Clinical Oncology)
- Asian American Network for Cancer Awarenesss, Research and Training (USA) This was founded by the National Cancer Institute and Ohio State University to increase cancer awareness, promote greater accrual of Asian Americans in clinical studies, increase training opportunities for Asian American.
- Association of Pediatric Oncology Nurses (USA) APON is a non-profit organisation formed in 1976 and has members in the US, Canada, and other countries. The site provides details of services for members including a journal, newsletter, publications, and continuing education.
- Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Methodology and Measurement Interest Group This is a Special Interest Group of the National Institutes of Health. The Web page has details of the Email list and contact information.
- Bereavement Links (Growth House, Inc)
- Beyond the Road's End A book by the wife of a cancer patient: telling the story of her husband's 5 month battle with a brain tumour, including treatments, support, links, death and dying, and other issues. The book can be viewed online or downloaded free (PDF)
- Blood Journal of the American Society of Hematology
- Blood Counts Information for Kids with Cancer (Mary Petersen and Jo Eland, University of Iowa) pages for kids (and anyone else who is interested) explaining blood cells, blood counts and chemotherapy - good graphics
- Breast Cancer Research and Treatment (Journal) a journal aimed at the full spectrum of medical specialities involved in breast cancer research and treatment. Tables of contents, instructions for authors etc.
- Bulletin of the Intercultural Cancer Council (USA) The ICC aims to promote policies to improve care and treatment in minorities and medically underserved cancer patients.
- Camp Cancer - for Kids with Cancer -a virtual camp !
- Cancer Journal of The American Cancer Society. The web site has tables of contents, abstracts, search facilities. Subsribers can also access full text articles.
- Cancer Care, Inc (USA) a national voluntary social service agency, facilities include a toll free telephone helpline. The web site includes details of programs, information about specific cancers and topics including free access to audio clips of teleconferences etc.
- Cancer Causes and Control (Journal)
- Cancer Chronicles : 'Serious Consideration of Alternative Ideas' This site includes the Cancer Chronicles Newsletter and information about books by Ralph W. Moss.
- Cancer Control A peer reviewd journal of the Moffitt Cancer Center. Free online access to full text articles.
- Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention A journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. Table of Contents, Editorial Board, Instructions for authors etc.
- Cancer Family Care (Cincinnati, USA) a non-profit organisation founded in 1971 providing counseling and support services to cancer patients and their families in the greater Cincinnati area. The site includes details of services, resources, and links.
- Cancer FAQ Includes a list of cancer sites.
- Cancer Genetics Services Directory - Online Search Form (CancerNet, USA) A directory of licensed genetic counsellors. Providing patients, family, and health professionals with information about cancer risk assessment; availability, appropriateness, and interpretation of genetic susceptibility testing.
- Cancer in Minorities - Facts and Figures 2000 (American Cancer Society)
- Cancer Issues and Minority Health Resource Guide (Intercultural Cancer Council, USA)
- Cancer News - USA Today News on current research and developments
- Cancer Pain and Related Resources (Mayday Upper Peninsula Pain Project, USA) A large list of cancer pain related resources. This site provides awareness and information about pain and related health issues, also News, Other Resources, and many other pain related resources
- Cancer Pain Education for Patients and families (University of Iowa College of Nursing)
- Cancer Policy Framework (1993) Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (USA)
- Cancer Research (Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research) Table of contents, Editorial board, Instructions for authors etc.
- Cancer Risk Factors and Possible Causes - Menu (CancerNet)
- Cancer Screening, Prevention and Genetics (National Cancer Institute, USA) Information for health professionals
- Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP) (Division of Cancer Treatment, Diagnosis, and Centers, NCI)
- Cancer Watch A Monthly News and Education Magazine about Cancer Research
- CancerGene - computer program (University of Texas / Duke University) for health professionals: a computer program for estimating the likelihood that a family carries a mutation in one of the cancer predisposition genes BRCA1, BRCA2, MSH2 or MLH1
- CancerGuide A site by cancer survivor Steve Dunn. Includes pros and cons of researching your cancer.
- CancerLit: Aids Related Cancers (National Cancer Institute) On-line abstracts for health professionals. Sorted by month and year.
- CancerSourceRN.com A site for oncology professionals by Cancersource.com in partnership with the Oncology Nursing Society. It includes a drugs database, cancer news, continuing education and reference resources. Free registration is required to access parts of the site.
- Carcinogenic Potency Project (Berkeley)
- CAREGIVERS - Email list (ACOR)
- Cell (Jounal) Published biweekly, it includes research articles in areas including molecular biology, biochemistry, cancer research, cell biology, genetics, immunology, microbiology etc. Free subscription for summaries / table of contents.
- Cell Growth and Differentiation A journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. Table of Contents, Editorial board, instructions to authors etc.
- Center for Alternative Medicine Research - University of Texas (Texas, USA) A government funded center investigating the effectiveness of alternative/complementary therapies used for cancer prevention and control. The web site includes details of research, detailed reviews, resources and links.
- Center for Cancer Control Research (Baylor College of Medicine)
- Center to Advance Palliative Care The Center is directed by the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York. This is is an on-line resource for hospitals and health systems interested in developing palliative care programs. It includes information and details of courses and other resources.
- Chai Lifeline/ Camp Simcha (USA) a not-for-profit organization founded in 1986 by Rabbi Simcha Scholar. providing support for children and their families who are coping with life-threatening illnesses. Programs include camps, counseling, education and financial assistance.
- Children's Art Project - M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (Texas, USA) a project started in 1974, now with over 80 products (cards, books etc) using children's artwork to raise money for emotional, recreational and educational programs for children at the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- Children's Cancer Research Fund / NY Medical College Children's Cancer Service (New York Medical College, and affiliated hospitals, USA) The Children's Cancer Service was established in the early 1980's treating children in the Hudson Valley area.The CCRF was founded in 1993, the site has information about CCRF, newsletter, etc
- Chinese-American Cancer Association (American Cancer Society) Information in both English and Chinese
- Clinical Cancer Research Monthly journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, with a focus on research and translational research which bridges the laboratory and the clinic; especially clinical trials and clinically relevant laboratory research.
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing A bimonthly journal of the Oncology Nursing Society.
- Colon Cancer Risk Index (Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention, USA) An interactive site which allows users to assess their risk for colon cancer and offers personalized tips for lowering it. This is one of the most common cancers - it is one of the most preventable.
- Complementary Medicine - Menu (OncoLink) This section contains information about a range of specific complementary therapies, answers to frequently asked questions, book reviews, and links to other related resources.
- Coping with cancer - Menu (OncoLink)
- Coping with Loss and Grief Menu (OncoLink)
- Corporate Angel Network (USA) Non-profit organisation that provides free air transportation to and from recognized US cancer hospitals without regard to their financial resources. The network has helped over 10,000 patients since 1981.
- CURE Childhood Cancer (USA) An Atlanta based a nonprofit organization founded by parents in the mid 1970's to promote research, education and support of the patients and their families in Georgia. The Web site includes a newsletter, details of services, donations etc.
- Current Problems in Cancer a bimonthly journal. Tables of contents + abstracts.
- Cycle of Hope (USA) By the Lance Armstrong Foundation and the Bristol-Myers Squibb company. The site includes information about cancer risks, living with cancer, tips for caregivers, Lance Armstrong's story, links, Cycle of Hope materials etc.
- Death and Dying (Global Ideas Bank)
- Department of Pediatrics Hematology / Oncology Program (New York University Medical Center)
- Depression (CancerNet) Patient's information
- Empty Arms WebRing A webring of sites created by parents who are grieving the loss of a child.
- End of Life Issues Menu (OncoLink)
- Endocrinology Interest Group This is a Special Interest Group of the NIH. It is a forum for researchers interested in basic and clinical endocrinology and its implications on other fields including cancer. The Web site includes details of membership, meetings and Email archives.
- Experimental Hematology (Journal) Official Publication of the International Society for Experimental Hematology
- Families and Patients-- The Experience of Cancer : Menu (OncoLink)
- Food Fight Against Cancer (University of Oklahoma, USA)
- Foundation for Advanced Cancer Studies (Frederick, USA) non-profit organisation which conducts scientific research conferences and funds research fellowships.
- Friendly 4 Seniors (USA) this site aims to help seniors and caregivers locate services, information and resources. The site includes a search tool and section on health and medical issues.
- Genes and Development (Journal)
- Glossary (American Cancer Society)
- Glossary (Medicine Online - Leukemia Information Center) A large glossary of cancer related terms.
- Glossary of Common Cancer Related Medical Terms (Arizona Cancer Center)
- GriefNet (Riverdell Resources) This site has resources for those who are experiencing loss and grief and information for health professionals.
- Growth House - International directory of reviewed links for terminal illness support Growth House is a non-profit organization dedicated to end of life issues; hospice care, palliative medicine, pain management, grief, death with dignity, and other related issues. The site provides comprehensive links and reviews of related sites.
- Gynecologic Oncology (Journal) as part of the IDEAL scheme the journal has free tables of contents with abstracts for all users and full text PDF files for registered users.
- Hair Dyes and Cancer Risk (Medical Science Bulletin, Pharminfo)
- Hat and Soul co. (Brown-Harrison Companies, USA) A company which creates and sell hats for women in chemotherapy. The site includes links to cancer awareness groups.
- HealthGate Inc. (USA) Including FREE MEDLINE and CANCERLIT ACCESS plus other biomedical databases, CME courses, and consumer health information.
- Hematology / Oncology Clinics of North America Bimonthly Journal - topical issues
- Hospice Foundation of America
- Hospice Hands (Hospice of North Central Florida) A site containing comprehensive links on a range of death, bereavement, care, hospice, and other related issues.
- Imperatives for Quality Cancer Care: Access, Advocacy, Action, and Accountability (National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship, USA) a Declaration of principles and guidelines for access, advocacy, and accountability in 3 areas: Quality cancer care, Physiologic long-term and late effects of cancer treatment, and pychosocial Issues
- Importance of Psychosocial Support for Cancer Patients Recognized (CancerNet)
- Innovations in End-of-Life Care A international online forum and peer-reviewed journal for health professionals in end-of-life care. It is sponsored by The Last Acts Campaign, online registration is required for free access. Selected articles also appear in the Journal of Pal. Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Medical Laboratories (Johns Hopkins)
- Journal of Clinical Oncology Tables of contents, searchable abstracts
- Journal of Genetic Counseling
- Journal of Image Guided Surgery
- Journal of Immunotherapy
- Journal of Palliative Medicine A journal of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. This is an interdisciplinary journal that deals with patient care at the end of life. It covers the latest developments in drug and non-drug therapies for symptom management.
- Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing Quarterly journal of the Association of Pediatric Oncology Nurses.
- Journal of the American Medical Association (USA) general medical
- Journal of the National Cancer Institute (USA)
- Kansas Cancer Pain Initiative (University of Kansas Med Center, USA)
- Kaposi's Sarcoma ? (Ask Alice)
- Kid's Home at NCI (USA) A parent / patient oriented site. This includes information for parents, links to child oriented pages, and art work by children with cancer.
- KIDSCOPE Support organization to help the families and children of cancer patients
- Laboratory of Human Carcinogenesis (National Cancer Institute, USA) The laboratory investigates the molecular basis of cancer. The Web page has details of the laboratory including the sections of Molecular Genetics, Liver Carcinogenesis, and Molecular Epidemiology.
- Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis (National Cancer Institute, USA) The laboratory is part of the NCI Division of Basic Sciences. Research interests include enzymes of drug metabolism, interaction of carcinogens, and genetic and environmental factors in metabolism.
- Lancet Oncology A news and review journal founded in 1999.
- Lancet, The A general medical journal. The on-line version provides some free services others require subscription and registration. Includes search facilities and the Arcade Information Center.
- Living With Dignity. A New Jersey Non-Profit Corporation, founded in 1996, which provides psycho-social support for individuals and families living with cancer and AIDS. The Web site includes details of professional counseling services, grief therapy and newsletter.
- Lung Cancer and Cigarette Smoking Web Page by Frederic W. Grannis Jr. M.D. - a top thoracic surgoen with 25 years experience of diagnosing and treating lung cancer. Contain FAQs and links about lung cancer.
- Managed Care Home Page by Anne Blakeslee (Cornell University)
- Managed care resources (University of Medicine and dentistry of New Jersey)
- Managed Care Terminology (Cornell University)
- Managed Care, Cancer and Mohs Micrographic Surgery - by Dr. Steven E. Lerner Associates (Lectric Law Library, USA)
- Managed Care/Contracting Business (National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, NCI designated, USA)
- Medical and Paediatric Oncology (Wiley InterScience - REQUIRES ON-LINE REGISTRATION) Official Journal of SIOP - the International Society of Paediatric Oncology
- Medical Science Bulletin - Oncology Review Section Information for Oncologists (Pharminfo)
- Medicine Online (USA) Cancer related resources - by GlaxoWelcome an international pharmaceutical company.
- MedicineNet "A Free Medical Resource" Diseases / Medical Dictionary / News and many other features
- Medscape Commercial site for health professionals. Requires free registration. Includes full text articles, free access to MEDLINE, TOXLINE, and AIDSLINE databases. There is an oncology section.
- Mental Health Net This site contains an index of pages related to mental health issues and also has a section on cancer links.
- Meta Index of Nursing Lists (Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources)
- Meta Index of Clinical Medicine Lists (Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources)
- Mind, Body, and Soul - A Health Guide for African Americans (Tulane Cancer Center, New Orleans, USA) Includes sections on Breast cancer, Prostate cancer, Lung cancer, Uterine cancer, Healthy earting, Diabetes, and Cardiovascular disease.
- MPIP Dictionary (Melanoma Patient's Information Page- dictionary of cancer terms)
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) (USA)
- National Lymphedema Network A non-profit organization founded in 1988 to provide education and guidance to lymphedema patients, health care professionals and the public. The Web site includes news, details of conferences, educational material about primary and secondary lymphedema.
- Nature Medicine
- Negative Mood in Childhood Leukemia Survivors Abstract: Comparison of Psychologic Outcome in Adult Survivors of Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia..A CCG/NIH study. J Clin Oncol 15:547-556, 1997.
- New England Journal of Medicine (Journal of the Massachusetts Medical Society)
- New Medicine, Inc. (USA) including 'Future Oncology' News on products / technology
- Nurses of Duke University Medical Center's Adult Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant Program Primarily intended for nurses, this site provides information about Stem Cell Transplantation, related nursing processes, protocols, educational resources and references. Information for patients and their families is also included.
- Nursing and Allied Health Information Directory (USA)
- Office on Smoking and Health - Tobacco Information and Prevention Sourcepage (USA) The Office is part of the Center for Disease Control. The Web site includes educational material, news, media resources, citations, research data and reports, details of campaigns and other resources.
- Oncology (Journal) Founded in 1948 as ‘Oncologia’
- Oncology Nursing Forum (Journal)
- Oncology Online (USA) Commercial site for US physicans (requires log-in) with resources for research, consultation and practice management.
- Oncology: Daily News (NewsPage) Todays research news
- ONCONEWS -Email List (ACOR) Oncology News - a moderated list to broadcast Oncology News to Researchers, Physicicans, and Patients.
- OurAngelTeens (Angels of Hope) unmoderated mailing list ifor teenagers ages 13-19 who are suffering with cancer and are looking for a pen-pal to communicate with.
- Overview of managed care by Stuart Schear
- Pain Management Menu (OncoLink) Information for Health professionals
- Palliative Care In Oncology A special issue of The Cancer Control Journal. Full text. CME credits available
- Physician's PDQ Statement for Pain (CancerNet)
- Physician's statement for Anxiety Disorder (CancerNet) Anxiety related to cancer screening, diagnosis, treatment, or recurrence
- Physician's statement for Genetic Testing for Cancer Risk (CancerNet)
- Physician's statement for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in relation to Cancer (CancerNet)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (CancerNet) Patient's supportive care statement
- Psychological and Social Issues (Community Breast Health Project, USA) Details of on-going phsychosocial studies at Stanford University
- Psychological Stress and Cancer (CancerNet) Fact sheet
- Psychosocial Issues of Cancer Survivorship (National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship, USA) Part of the "Imperatives for Quality Cancer Care: Access, Advocacy, Action, and Accountability"
- Questions and Answers About Asbestos Exposure (CancerNet)
- R.A. Bloch Cancer Foundation The foundation was created by a survivor of lung cancer with an aim to help all cancer patients conquer their disease. The Web site includes information about programmes, second opinions, information for patients and supporters.
- Radiation Research Journal of the Radiation Research Society
- Radon and Cancer (CancerNet)
- Reporting on Cancer: A Guide for Journalists This book published by, Ohio State University Press, is now available on-line in PDF format at no cost to the user. It was originally published in 1994 to help the news media improve their reporting on cancer topics. Download sections or the entire book.
- Resources for Managed Care - general site about managed care (Infinity Heart)
- Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Center (RHRC) for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Columbia University, USA)
- Risks of Cigarette Smoking for Women on the Rise (CancerNet) News.Several studies recent have reported increased risk of lung cancer and other cancer in women who smoke (as well as higher risk of heart diseasese, stoke, and chronic lung disease).
- Roxane Pain Institute (USA)
- Scientific Events / AACR Meetings (American Association for Cancer Research)
- Search CNN for cancer news items (CNN Interactive, USA)
- Seminars in Oncology Nursing (Journal)
- Seminars in Pediatric Surgery (Journal)
- Smoking and Cancer (CancerNet)
- Solid Tumor Interest Group of the Association for Molecular Pathology
- Support Groups - Menu (OncoLink)
- SWON- Social Work in Oncology Network - Discussion Group An Internet discussion group for members of the Association of Oncology Social Workers. Issues for discussion include oncology social work, cancer survivorship, resources for cancer survivors, and psychosocial research in oncology.
- TALARIA: Clinical Practice Guidelines for Cancer Pain
- Talking With Your Child About Cancer (USA) An online booklet produced by the National Cancer Institute. It contains advice to parents about how to talk to children about cancer.
- Tampa Children's Hospital - Children's Cancer Center (Florida, USA) The Children's Cancer Center is a not-for-profit organisation providing emotional, financial and educational support for children with cancer and blood disorders.
- Teen Age Grief, Inc (USA) A non-profit organization based in Newhall, California. It was founded in 1984 to provide emotional support for young people and training for teachers and other professionals helping teenagers grieve.
- The Compassionate Friends - National Office (USA) A non-profit self-help organization for bereaved parents and siblings, with many local chapters both in the USA and international. The site includes on-line information leaflets about various aspects of grieving, plus links to local chapters.
- The Dougy Center, The National Center for Grieving Children and Families (USA) The Center provides support and care in Portland, Oregon and the surrounding region loving to children, teens, and their families who are grieving a death. It also provides support and training, nationally and internationally to carers.
- The Sun and Skin Cancer (Carrollton High School, Hult Health Education Center, and Illinois State Board of Education) a child (and adult) friendly with detailed sections about the sun, U.V. Rays, skin cancer, prevention and protection, quiz.
- The Virtual Hospital
- Tumour Biology Journal of the International Society for Oncodevelopmental Biology and Medicine (ISOBM).
- UNAIDS - Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- Unconventional Cancer Treatments: Legal Constraints -Availability of Unorthodox ca treatmt U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment, Unconventional Cancer Treatments, OTA-H-405 (Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, September 1990).
- Understanding a Biopsy Report by Dr. Ed Uthman (Cancerguide)
- Understanding Gene Testing (Department of Health and Human Services, USA) a detailed on-line booklet about genetic testing, hereditary diseases, predictive testing, glossary etc.
- Viruses and cancer (Ray's VIROLOGY home page) lecture notes of Ray Baumann
- Washington / Alaska Cancer Pain Initiative (USA)
- Wellness Web includes some cancer related info.
- Women's Cancer Resource Center - drop in center (Berkeley, CA, USA)
- Women's Cancer Resource Center of Berkeley (California, USA) founded in 1986 to provide support and advocay for women with cancer in the San Francisco Bay Area. The web site includes details of services, events, articles and information, links etc.
- Worldwide Congress on Pain Site for health care professionals including CME credits. WCP includes a large database of pain related articles, plus links to related sites.
- Young Adults Living With Cancer (USA) An organisation dedicated to helping make resources available to young adults who have or have had cancer. "We realize that the concerns that young adults who have cancer face are different than those of older adults."
- Young Professionals Against Cancer (YPAC) YPAC is the fund raising arm of the Orange County Foundation for Oncology Children and Families (OCFOCF).
See also Disease Oriented List of Resources
See also Medical / Research Specialities
See also International Organisations